When I moved to Alaska in the fall of 2010, I created a blog called "Eight Boxes", because that's what I mailed to myself several weeks before I flew there. Everything I would need for an entire year had to fit into those eight boxes. Interestingly, when I left Anchorage, everything I had fit into my little Subaru hatchback I named "Blue Ice". There was so much I didn't really need.
For the next few years I lived in odd places - a duplex near my school, a room in "Menopause Mansion", and then when I bought my house (HOJ - for House of Joy) I started accumulating things again. Lots of them. Furniture, electronics, kitchen gadgets, power tools, yard equipment. My life today wouldn't fit into any sized car.
So my challenge for myself is to only bring one REALLY large tub on this trip. Ditching the therapy materials, myriads of books about Alaska (pretty sure they're outdated); and I don't need seven pairs of grey sweat pants or fourteen t shirts with catchy slogans and several shades of paint that match my house walls.
I'm moving into a fully furnished apartment - how much could I need?
No comments:
Post a Comment